Energy is another word for power. Energy makes things work, move and grow. Life is not possible without energy. We use energy to walk, talk, eat, work and play. We use it in vehicles, light bulbs, cookers,…Wherever there is heat, sound, light or life there is energy.
What is renewable energy?
Renewable energy is made from resources that nature will replace, like wind, water and sunshine. Renewable energy is also called “clean energy” or “green power” because it doesn’t pollute the air or the water.
What is non-renewable energy?
Non-renewable energy comes from sources that cannot be replaced after they are used and will eventually run out. Most non-renewable energy sources are fossil fuels: coal, petroleum, and natural gas.
TOCK has been looking at ways we can keep our planet amazing by taking care with the energy we use.
TOCK’S TOP TIPS FOR SAVING ENERGY:
- Switch lights off when nobody in the room.
- Turn off the TVs, computers, video games when you are not using them.
- Wear more clothes if you are cold rather than turning the heating up.
- Open the curtains to let the light in instead of turning the lights on during the day.
- Ask your family to wash your clothes using a lower temperature setting.
- Help hang out the washing in the sun instead of using the dryer.
- Use electrical equipment that are energy efficient – some equipment shows how good they are with Energy stars!
- Walk or bike instead of using the car when going short distances.
- Travel by bus or electric vehicles if you can.